Here at OKC Mature Moves, education is key! We strive to educate our clients as we help, guide and serve them in selling a home and moving from one place to the next, but in order to do that effectively, we have to stay up-to-date on the fundamental issues impacting our clients.
One of the ways we do this is through regularly held focus group and mastermind meetings. It is only by surrounding ourselves with those who have “been there” and “done that” that we gain first-hand and real world knowledge to pass on to our clients. Below are just a few key takeaways from our last focus group held at Concordia Life Care Community in Northwest Oklahoma City.
At this round table discussion (actually it was rectangle, but you get the idea), we spoke openly with a group of Concordia residents about their experiences with transitioning to senior living.
Here’s what we heard:
- One of the biggest challenges is emotionally “giving up” a home and the things within it.
- Sometimes there is real push back from a spouse or other loved ones when you feel ready to move and they aren’t quite there yet.
- Later life moves can we overwhelming. Reliable, caring help has been vital to making the move a more positive experience and relieving some of the stress.
- Adult children struggle with ‘broaching the subject’ of it being time to consider another living option when parents seem to be challenged with upkeep of their current residence.
- Don’t wait until you are “forced” to make the move. Make the move on your own terms and be proactive and realistic in your wants for your future.
- Sense of community is of the upmost importance. Being around others who are positive and who share your values is critical to one’s choice in where they will live.
The room was a mixed bag when it came to their personal experiences with senior service providers. Although there were many positive experiences with people like move managers, estate liquidators, and real estate professionals, there we also a few less than positive as well.
- Move managers, while helpful, can sometimes also be opinionated about how much you should move with you. Use your instincts and don’t let them “make you” leave behind things you want to take. You can always get rid of them later if you choose to — after you move them and find they aren’t needed or won’t fit.
- Real estate agents are not all as communicative as some would like. It is also important to make sure your agent has done what they say they will do when it comes to putting a home in the multiple listing (correctly) and is pricing it right.
- When doing an estate sale, it can be disappointing when you realize your stuff isn’t worth much. Sometimes it’s not even worth doing a sale and one is better off donating to charity.
Overall, this was a valuable 90 minutes and we look forward to incorporating our findings into our service model so that we can create experiences that exceed our clients’ expectations!
Let us know how we can help!
Call 405.708.7010 today and find out what makes OKC MATURE MOVES real estate team DIFFERENT than the rest!
Latest posts by Nikki Buckelew (see all)
- Myths and Truths about Trusts, Wills, and Guardianships in Oklahoma Real Estate Sales - February 28, 2019
- How is Pricing a House Like Fishing? - May 23, 2018
- Making a Difference - January 3, 2018